Thursday, January 19, 2017

Betty White is Golden

Yesterday was Betty White's 95th birthday. Everyone loves Golden Girl, Betty White, for her grace, charm, energy, wit, and beauty. I love her more than ever because of her positive attitude. Betty's old school approach to life and optimism resonates with me. We have little control of outcomes, so we might as well offer hope in our own little corners of the world, and leave the bigger outcomes to God. With so much division and egos flaring fueling hate in all directions, I am joining Betty in declining the hate bait.

Remember the conventional wisdom from years ago: If a child, or adult, had anger problems, experts suggested getting them a punching bag to release their anger so it doesn't build up. But in fact they discovered the opposite happened. The more anger and aggression are indulged, the more anger and aggression grow.  This, like many other educational and psychological experiments that have been proven mistaken, it must be abandoned. We have witnessed when vile hatred is unleashed by everyone doing what is right in their own eyes, with no regard to others who may disagree, it infects everything and everyone around it. It is like a narcotic.

I am going to continued to be a "cockeyed optimist," like my hero Betty. Watch her wisdom shine in the interview with Katie Couric, who tries her darnedest to bait Betty, but Betty wouldn't budge. Hatred destroys the vessel that holds it. Like Betty, I'm not partaking.

Yes, there is deep divid and mammoth problems this country. But I am hanging on to my assurance that God is in control of the mess. He tells me not to allow the bad thoughts to enter my mind. 

Paul, an apostle of Christ, reminds us in Philippians 4:8, "Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think on such things." He probably knew if we humans didn't heed that admonition, we would fill the void with poisonous vitriol. 


I have to have hope! I agree with Martin Luther King, Jr., who said, "I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear." 

Don't take the hate bait. We have scared the children. 

Betty is positive, Betty is gentle and kind. Betty is beautiful and healthy at 95! Probably because she is a cockeyed optimist. 

Be like Betty. 

Watch Betty rock her interview with Katie Couric here.




No comments:

Post a Comment