Sunday, January 13, 2013

If you write it, they will read, conclusion

Before I continue, I need to clarify that Bruce and I are not rich. Bruce, a state employee, has an average paying job for our area. I wish I had an average paying job—my pay as a part-time substitute teacher with occasional art jobs is far below poverty level! But we have been frugal and have never spent money we didn't have. My runaway expenditures for the book suddenly made me feel out-of-control with my spending. But hadn't God led me here? 


Miracles are easy to dismiss, unless you have experienced one. Then you recognize them everywhere! The recognition is a blessing!


Bruce's grandfather died in 1978, before we were married. He and Bruce weren't particularly close, because Edward had divorced Bruce's beloved Gigi in the 1940's to marry another woman, Ruth. We didn't have much contact with Ruth, who survived her husband 34 years. Ruth died last summer at the age of 101. Gigi died two years earlier at the age of 104! The man could pick women with longevity! 

Shortly after I had committed to the publication of the book, Bruce got a letter from the executor of Ruth's estate stating that he was to share Edward's bank stock with his sister. His share? Just over $5,000! The amount raised the hair on my arms. It was the same amount I first committed to the publishing of  my book. God had been faithful! I was euphoric, and encouraged. 


Two weeks later he got a letter from the attorney, revealing that the original letter contained an error. I had thought it odd that one parcel of stock contained 174 shares and the second parcel contained  1.078 shares. The truth was that the decimal should have been a comma. I grabbed my calculator and was stunned by the displayed numbers. Bruce's share was just over $40,000 instead of $5,000. It would pay for all of the expenditures for the book, as well as Roma's tuition at FUMA. Now God was showing off!What's Bruce's is ours, and what's mine, well there isn't enough to go around. Of course, Bruce was more than willing to use "our" money to pay these expenses. 


It was at this point that I realized that the book belonged to God to use as He saw fit. It had been bought and paid for. I would be the "caretaker"of the book. The consequences of the book would be God's job. And all profits will go to orphan care. The honor of being the caretaker of God's story relieves me of the pressure and responsibility to make sure the story is read by mass numbers. God will make sure that those He wants to read it will.


Einstein said "coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous." I don't think God wants to remain anonymous! I think He wants to be recognized and glorified. (There was obviously a LOT that Einstein didn't understand about God.) G. K. Chesterton said "coincidences are spiritual puns." I like that better. In order to "get it" they require some thoughtful insight.  
Or experience with miracles. 

So I write, to the Glory of God! 


1 comment:

  1. Ooooooh this is great! I love how God was "showing off!" And I love how you give Him the glory Debbie!

    ReplyDelete